Tuesday, June 12, 2012

EDTECH 597 - Generational differences


I'm going to switch hats here and post about my blogging class - if you missed my first entry, this is actually a "learning blog" where I am learning about blogging tools and techniques, by creating and maintaining a blog of my own.

So, the topic this week is generational differences as related to educational technology. There are three articles referenced below that deal with this subject. Prensky essentially argues that teachers are "digital immigrants" to the world of their students, who are "digital natives," which creates disconnect in schooling. But Prensky has been roundly criticized by McKenzie and others, who argue that Prensky is guilty of sloppiness and over-simplification. Indeed, McKenzie's best line is, "Real fifteen year old humans are quite different from each other, a fact that Prensky did not take the time to study or notice. Some love things digital. Some are more interested in a horse or a dog or a walk along the shore" (McKenzie).

But while McKenzie certainly takes Prensky to task, I feel that it's Reeves who really brings something new to the argument. Reeves finds that middle-class and wealthy "Millennials" own and use a lot of technology. But that high usage does not translate into the ability to gather information with the technology and process it in a literate, discerning, and critical fashion. That, I think, is where educators need to focus their efforts.


References:

McKenzie, J. (2007). Digital nativism: Digital delusions and digital deprivation. From Now On, 17(2). Retrieved from http://fno.org/nov07/nativism.html

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants – Part II: Do they really think differently? On the Horizon, 9(6). Retrieved fromhttp://www.marcprensky.com/wri...0Part1.pdf

Reeves, T.C. (2008). Do generational differences matter in instructional design? Online discussion presentation to Instructional Technology Forum from January 22-25, 2008 at http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/...mJan08.pdf

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,
    I think you did a great job synthesizing the articles this week. I agree with you that we need to focus on information literacy in our classes. This is so essential and I see the need for it in my 4th grade classes when students don't even know where to begin on their research. I call it "deer in the headlights." Information literacy will come for these kids (hopefully) with maturity and experience, but as teachers we need to be mindful and address the how's and why's of information gathering and processing starting very young.
    Thanks for a great post!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey! Yesterday I noticed a girl in one of my classes with a new iPhone...using a paper planner. I asked why she didn't use a calendar on her phone so she didn't have to carry the planner around, and she said she had just never learned how to use a digital calendar. Argh!

      Delete
  2. Dan, the other key take away from Reeves' work is that the only generational difference that is based on reliable and valid research is the work done by Jean Twenge on "Generation Me" (see http://www.generationme.org/) - although I am not sure if he mentions it in this IF Forum paper or if that is from his longer, more developed, AECT handbook chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did not catch that the first time in the Reeves article, but I will definitely have to check that out!

      Delete
  3. Dan--Great post!! I agree that access does not translate to meaningful use, but would you agree that is the task of a teacher in these technologically advanced times? Just a thought...
    --dm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness, yes. At the school where I teach, ninth graders must take a required "technology" class...where they learn Word and PowerPoint. Argh! Somebody teach them to use the planner on their phone, at least!

      Delete